Well, it happened. I turned 29 last Saturday, and after a cosy get-together with the family and the biggest case of the Sunday blues ever (thank heavens for Netflix), I thought it was high time to finish and share my 30 things before 30 list with you. One year, thirty challenges. Let's see where this last year as a twenty-something takes me, shall we?
1. FALL IN LOVE. Let's start with the biggest thing on this list that either happens or doesn't. I truly believe that no one can force themselves to fall in love, that settling is the worst thing you could do if you even have the littlest amount of self-respect inside of you and - therefore - that this thing of the 29 others to come is the most difficult to do of all. The reason I'm putting it on here is just to remind myself to be more open to the possibility of falling. To be less careful when it comes to opening myself up. To admit that it IS something I would love to happen, but you know... It's really not a big deal if it turns out to be more of a bucket list for life thing instead of a check before 30.
2. TRAVEL ALONE. I was already able to check off the dream trip (Scotland last year), so this is the next thing I would love to do in the coming year. Near or far, I've always loved the idea of planning a solo trip and just wander around getting to know new people.
3. OWN ALL OF MY FAVOURITE FILMS. It's been a work in progress for almost two years now, and I love seeing my own collection grow to the point that I'll definitely need to buy some new shelves soon. There's a whole list on my phone and I can't wait to check off all of them!
4. EARN MORE THROUGH WRITING. Self-explanatory, right?
5. GET MY DRIVER'S LICENCE. This'll be hard, you guys. I am constantly going back and forth between hating cars and acknowledging their handiness. Also; I really can't afford one so I'm going to have to put myself over the fact that it might not be any use at all in the near future. But, hey! You have what you have, right?
6. GO SOMEWHERE I'VE ALWAYS WANTED TO GO.
7. LEVEL UP THE SELF LOVE. It first said full self-acceptance but, you know... Being realistic and all.
8. LET GO. Of past grudges, of the past in general, of things I don't like doing any more.
9. FIND MY TRIBE. In direct connection to number 16 on this list.
10. LEARN A NEW LANGUAGE. I would really love to improve my French, or even get started on Spanish. We'll see!
11. PICK UP THAT OLD HOBBY AGAIN. Did that! I can't wait to start rehearsing for our new play in a few months.
12. GET RID OF BAD HABITS. From ordering less junk food to waving nicotine goodbye! Hopefully, that last one will help me fund the next thing on this list.
13. GET A NEW TATTOO. The tattoo jar will be called into existence the minute I start working on number 12. It's all about motivation, people!
14. MASTER COOKING AT LEAST 3 NEW DISHES. I'm talking cooking without any written recipes in sight, just from the top of my head.
15. LAND THE DREAM JOB. Or, you know... At least find out what that dream job is and then chase it like crazy.
16. SAY GOODBYE TO TOXIC RELATIONSHIPS. I've always been big on being liked and liking everyone in return. The thing is: it's quite impossible. Perhaps I'm just getting old, perhaps it's a bit selfish, but I'm simply done with changing my personality and not saying what I really want to say, just for the benefit of someone else or for keeping the peace. I've learned that it can really ruin a day or even a year if you keep these sort of things in your life so - well - no more.
17. READ ALL THE BOOKS I HAVE AND MAKE ROOM FOR NEW ONES. I actually have quite a lot of books I haven't read before in my personal library, so I'm vowing to finally start reading 'em and to get rid of the ones I don't like.
18. WRITE A STORY.
19. MAKE SOMETHING FROM SCRATCH. Could be anything. I used to love DIYing but sort of quit making time for it.
20. FINISH ALL THE THINGS ON MY APARTMENT TO DO LIST. Oh, it's a long list, but I can't wait to start on it!
21. LEARN A NEW SKILL. Again, could be anything. But not driving, or a new language, or anything that's already mentioned in this list. That would be cheating. ;)
22. DEVELOP NEW HEALTHY HABITS. I'm thinking: going for a walk every evening, updating the diet, etc.
23. EXPERIENCE LONDON AROUND CHRISTMAS AGAIN. Because it's probably one of my favourite combos in the world, nuff said.
24. START SAVING. Pension style.
25. DO SOMETHING OUT OF CHARACTER. No idea what, but I'll find out as the opportunity arises, haha!
26. OVERCOME A FEAR. Again, no idea what. I'll know it when it happens.
27. TREAT MYSELF TO SOMETHING EXPENSIVE. Well, I finally bought a new Xbox after the hand me down I got from my brother died. That's expensive enough in my book, so check!
So that's it! I left three open so I could add some more as I go through this year, and will put the whole list up on a separate page so I can update it whenever I make progress.
Q: what's the biggest thing you want to accomplish in the next couple of years or so?